To get the most out of this course, participants should have a basic understanding of SQL, Git, and the Looker business user experience. For learners with no previous experience as data explorers in Looker, it is recommended to first complete Analyzing and Visualizing Data in Looker.
- Define LookML basic terms and building blocks
- Modify LookML projects using the Looker Integrated Development Environment (IDE) and project version control
- Create dimensions and measures to curate data attributes used by business users
- Create and design Explores to make data accessible to business users
- Create new tables instantaneously using derived tables
- Optimize SQL query performance using caching and datagroups in Looker
Who Can Benefit?
- Data developers who are responsible for data curation and management within their organizations.
- Data analysts interested in learning how data developers use LookML to curate and manage data in their organization’s Looker instance.
Outline for Developing Data Models with LookML Training
Introduction to Looker and LookML
- LookML basics, Looker development environment
Creating Dimensions and Measures
- Dimensions, measures
Project Version Control
- Git within Looker, project version control
- SQL within Looker, Explores, joins, symmetric aggregations, filters
- Derived tables, best practices
Caching and Datagroups
- Caching, datagroups