- Understand the basics of the JFC architecture.
- Build simple GUI applications using JFC.
- Build more complex GUIs using various JFC controls.
- Use the many hooks into the JFC architecture to easily customize rendering and editing within JFC controls.
- Understand the significance of the MVC decomposition in using JFC controls.
- Build GUI classes that make effective use of events as fired from model, view and controller elements of the GUI itself.
- Implement JFC GUIs based on existing data structures, and use model implementations to adapt the JFC controls seamlessly to this data.
- Handle very large data sets, such as remote databases, without degradation of performance or user responsiveness.
- Implement scrolling, and customize scrolling for a particular scrollable element.
- Manage complex user interfaces by combining GUI areas with splitter panes and tab panes.
- Expand an application interface with popup dialogs, message boxes, and popup menus.
- Use standard dialogs such as file choosers and color choosers.
- Implement clipboard cut, copy and paste using the JFC data transfer model.
- Implement drag sources and drop targets for complete drag-and-drop capabilities