After completing this course, you should be able to:
- Describe a multi-server IBM Spectrum Protect storage environment.
- Manage storage containers and traditional storage pools.
- Configure a multi-server environment.
- Improve data protection and recovery with replication.
- Enable advanced client functions.
- Protect and monitor the IBM Spectrum Protect environment.
- Use scripting to automate daily processing.
- Optimize the IBM Spectrum Protect server and client.
- Troubleshoot common problems.
- Describe the other IBM Spectrum Protect family products.
This course is for storage administrators familiar with the daily management of IBM Spectrum Protect/Tivoli Storage Manager.
Complete IBM Spectrum Protect 8.1.2 - Implementation and Administration (TS616G) prior to attending this course.
Outline for IBM SPECTRUM PROTECT 8.1.4 ADVANCED ADMINISTRATION, TUNING, AND TROUBLESHOOTING Training
Chapter 1. The IBM Spectrum Protect 8.1.4 environment
- IBM Spectrum Protect concepts
- Operations Center navigation
- Benefits of a multi-site/multi-server environment
- Secure communications overview
Chapter 2. Storage pool management overview
- Manage storage pool hierarchies
- Data movement in traditional storage pools
- Define policy to determine storage destination
- Container storage pools
- Data deduplication
- Container pool management
- Cloud tiering
Chapter 3. Multi-site/multi-server management
- Overview of multi-site/multi-server management
- Create server pair
- Configure servers for multi-site/multi-server management
Chapter 4. Replication and disaster recovery
- Configure replication
- Configure automatic client failover
- Audit and repair damage in a container storage pool
- Additional disaster recovery methods
Chapter 5. Client functions and management
- Backup and restore overview
- Journal-based backups
- Image/snapshot backups
- Decommissioning a client node
- Automatic client updates with the Operations Center
- DSMCUTIL commands
Chapter 6. Daily maintenance and monitoring
- Daily maintenance overview
- Daily storage pool maintenance tasks; traditional disk to tape
- Daily storage pool maintenance tasks; multi-site/multi-server
- Database backup
- Review events and messages
- Configure Operation Center alerts
- Client Management Services (CMS)
- Create reports in the Operations Center
Chapter 7. Automation and scripting
- IBM Spectrum Protect SQL interface
- Server scripts
- Daily maintenance scripts
- IBM Spectrum Protect REST API
Chapter 8. Tuning the server and client for optimization
- Performance tuning overview
- Optimized planning considerations
- Tuning options
- Server tuning
- Optimizing the IBM Spectrum Protect database
- Client tuning
- Server and client instrumentation
Chapter 9. Troubleshooting and recovery
- Problem determination
- Database recovery
- Storage pool recovery
- Trace functions
- Report an issue
- Where to find more information
Chapter 10. IBM Spectrum Protect additional products
- Other products in the IBM Spectrum Protect family
- Overview of IBM Spectrum Protect Plus