The BA Facilitator Training
The BA Facilitator Training
This 2-day interactive workshop provides the methodology and skills required to facilitate well-formed client requirements sessions. As a value-added, each trainee receives a Facilitator’s Job Aids manual with valuable tools for use back on the job, including standard Meeting Agenda; Ground Rules for meetings, teleconferencing and Brainstorming sessions; scripts; templates for tools such as Polarity Maps and Fishbone Diagrams and detailed meeting guides for each type of meeting a BA may be asked to facilitate over the course of the project lifecycle.
Why Attend this Course?
The BA Professional is often called on to initiate, plan and facilitate requirements workshops. This course provides the training and experience in the ‘soft skills’ needed to fulfill this role.
What you will Learn
- On completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Understand and apply the role of the Facilitator in the Business Analysis context
- Plan a series of meetings using a top-down approach that guides stakeholders to work from the general to the specific
- Determine the right meeting sizes (number of attendees) and compositions over the course of an initiative
- Prepare for a meeting by conducting pre-meeting interviews, determining inputs and outputs, developing meeting objectives, agendas, scripts and more
- Perform stakeholder analysis, ensuring everyone is represented and that their agendas are identified
- Conduct requirements meetings using a wide variety of formats such as Brainstorming, JAD, one-on-one interviews and more, and know when to use which elicitation approach
- Define ground rules and roles for a meeting
- Be proficient using a toolkit of facilitator techniques, such as polarity mapping, force-field analysis, de Bono Six Thinking Hats, root-cause analysis and more – and know which tool to use in which situation
- Respond effectively to common challenges such as territorial and sensitivity issues and incomplete attendance
- Formulate different types of questions over the course of a meeting – and be able to adapt questions and facilitation style to participant personality types
- Manage conflicts for a positive outcome while keeping the meeting on track
- Employ decision-making techniques to assist the group in ranking and prioritizing requirements
- Record the outcome of the meeting in the appropriate format with the right level of detail
- Senior BAs
- Other BAs and PMs tasked with facilitating requirements-gathering workshops
WA2239 Business Analyst’s Crash Course or equivalent.
Outline of The BA Facilitator Training
Lesson 1: Overview of the facilitation role for Business Analysts
Lesson 2: Planning requirements meetings: Part A – Stakeholder Analysis
Lesson 3: Planning requirements meetings: Part B – The Big Plan
Lesson 4: Planning requirements meetings: Part C – Preparing for the Meeting
Lesson 5: Running the meeting; Tools – Part A: Basic Tools
Lesson 6: Tools – Part B: Advanced Tools (Root-Cause Analysis, etc.)
Lesson 7: Tools – Part C: Decision-Making Tools; Coping with Challenges
Lesson 8: Managing conflict; Post-engagement