Labs start with installation and configuration of stand-alone ESXi servers and progress to shared storage, networking and centralized management. The class continues to advanced topics including resource balancing, high availability, power management, back up and recovery, performance, vCenter redundancy, VM redundancy. Disaster recovery, rapid deployment, hot migration and workload consolidation are also covered.
This class is unique in its approach; which is to identify and eliminate common IT pain points and then to use virtualization to delivers clear, tangible benefits. Each topic is presented from the perspective of delivering key business value; not just the technical or mechanical aspects of the software.
By the end of the class, attendees will have learned the benefits, skills, and best practices of virtualization. Attendees will be able to design, implement, deploy, configure, monitor, manage and troubleshoot VMware vSphere 6.0.
At the end of the course, attendees will be able to:
- Explain the many significant benefits of virtualization
- Install ESXi Server according to best practices
- Configure and manage local storage
- Create virtual, distributed virtual, and virtual to physical LAN segments
- Understand and use shared SAN storage including Fibre SAN, iSCSI SAN
- Define and use file share (NAS) datastores
- Install, configure and update the Platform Service Controller and vCenter Server Appliance
- Create and use Content Libraries to manage ISO repositories
- Create virtual machines, install operating systems and applications
- Configure and use hotplug hardware including hot-add vCPUs and Memory
- Add and grow virtual disks including system disks and secondary volumes
- Rapidly deployment of VMs using golden-master templates
- Create clones - one-time copies of virtual machine
- Perform VM cold migrations, hot migrations and Storage VMotion
- Configure, manage, monitor and secure users and groups
- Understand the benefits and trade offs of network attached storage and Fibre, iSCSI SANs
- Deploy and use VMware Replication to hot back up and recover critical Virtual Machines
- Create and manage load balanced clusters
- Enable, configure and use Distributed Power Management to reduce electrical power by soft powering off unneeded ESXi servers
- Understand, create and manage high availability clusters to protect against VM service loss caused by ESXi server failures
- Monitor and tune both ESXi and virtual machine performance
- Patch and update ESXi servers using vCenter Update Manager
- Use Host Profiles to set and enforce ESXi configuration rule sets
- Understand how VMware and third party products, including operating systems, are impacted by virtualization
- Create, administer, back up and recover vNetwork Distributed Switches
- Understand and use advanced vSwitch settings like NIC Teaming and Security
- Troubleshoot common problems
Attendees should have user, operator or administrator experience on common operating systems such as Microsoft Windows®, Linux™, UNIX™, etc. Experience installing, configuring and managing operating systems, storage systems and or networks is useful but not required. We assume that all attendees have a basic familiarity with PC server hardware, disk partitioning, IP addressing, O/S installation, networking, etc.
This class is suitable for anyone who want to learn how to extract the maximum benefit from their investment in Virtual Infrastructure, including:
- System architects or others who need to design virtual infrastructure
- Security specialists responsible for administering, managing, securing Virtual Infrastructure
- Operators responsible for day-to-day operation of Virtual Infrastructure
- Performance analysts who need to understand, provision, monitor Virtual Infrastructure
- Business Continuity specialists responsible for disaster recovery and high availability
- Storage administrators who work with Fibre / iSCSI SAN volumes and NAS datastores
- Managers who need an unbiased understanding of virtualization before committing their organization to a virtual infrastructure deployment.
We regularly offer classes in these and other cities. Atlanta, Austin, Baltimore, Calgary, Chicago, Cleveland, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Houston,
Jacksonville, Miami, Montreal, New York City, Orlando, Ottawa, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, Seattle, Toronto, Vancouver, Washington DC.