Outline of 55141 SharePoint 2013 Search for Power Users Training
Module 1: SharePoint Search
This module provides an introduction to the topics covered in the class and introduces SharePoint search terminology.
- Who is this class for?
- SharePoint versions and search feature differences
Module 2: How Search Works
This module covers how SharePoint search finds and indexes content.
- Before you can run… you must Crawl!
- The Search Flow
- Crawl Sources
- What is Indexed
- What is not Indexed
- Content Processing
- Search is Security Trimmed
- Alternates to Search
- Search Limitations
Lab : How Search Works
- Feature and limitation quiz.
- Understand the concepts of crawling and indexing content and the impact on search availability and freshness.
- Understand the limits of search, especially what is not indexed.
Module 3: Core Search Techniques
This module covers the use of the core search techniques.
- Search Basics
- Where can you search?
- Search Navigation
- Shoot first and see what you hit…
- Refining Your Search
- Aim then shoot…
- Include or Exclude
- Boolean Operators
- Files in Libraries vs. Files as Attachments
- Search Verticals
- Searching for People
- The Advanced Search Page
- Creating Search Alerts
- Search Preferences
- The List and Library Search Box
- The OneDrive Pro Query Box
Lab : Core Search Techniques
Exercise 1: Using core search techniques.
Exercise 2: Using the Enterprise Search Center.
- Use the core search features including keywords, wildcards and Boolean operators.
- Identify the various places to start a search and the benefits of each.
- Search for people.
Module 4: Managing Sites and Pages
This module covers the more advanced search techniques.
- Property Searches
- Out of the Box Managed Properties
- Data Types
- Comparison Operators
- Content Types
- When is a Title not the Title?
- Examples of Property Searches
- Working with Multi-Lingual Content
- What you can do to improve search results
Lab : Managing Sites and Pages
Exercise 1: Using Managed Properties.
Exercise 2: Working with numbers and dates.
Exercise 3: Finding lists and content by ContentClass.
Exercise 4: Finding content by language.
- Find content based on Managed Properties.
- Properly search for items using dates.
- Find lists and libraries by type.
- Search using multiple languages.
- Understand how a search administrator can tune search.
- Understand how to best manage content to make it findable.
Module 5: Appendix: Codes and Lists
The appendix contains several detailed lists of codes and features useful to users of SharePoint search.
- Out of the Box Result Sources
- Frequently Used Managed Properties
- Content Class Codes
- SharePoint Search File Types
- Search Features by Edition
- Understand Codes and Lists